Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Por un Mes.


¡Hola, todos! It is time for another Tuesday blog post update on my journey in Guatemala. This week has been…full. Full of learning, questions, and new experiences. I cannot believe that Sunday marked the end of my first full month here.

I came to a great realization late last week: I have developed a routine that I love here. I am getting to know locals. I have favorite running spots. I know which cafés and bars to go to for specials throughout the week. I even have a barber.

Put simply, it has become home.

A marching band going throughout the city on Sunday - getting ready for Independence celebrations en Septiembre.

As for the Spanish, this week has been going really well! Last week was quite a roller coaster, and I had a few days where I used up every ounce of self-motivation in my body to keep going. I started with a new maestra this week, Helen, and really like her so far. We had an oral and written exam on Monday to test our progress, and it went well. I think the school knows that by simply using the word ‘exam’ with a bunch of pre-med’s, they can get us to study like crazy. And it works…

It has been great to really get comfortable here. A couple friends from my group and I got invited to our first Guatemalteco (Guatemalan native) cumpleaños fiesta over the weekend, which was a lot of fun! I met several Guatemalans involved in everything from studying at university to managing companies. It was also a great time to practice my Spanish in the ‘real world,’ and I am realizing more every day the progress I am making on the language front. Making progress is slow and difficult, but I am already able to communicate unbelievably better than I could just a month ago! 

I learned how to make corn tortillas! Yummm.
This weekend, our group took a couple short day-trips. We learned how to make chamaras (blankets) by hand, which is a ton of work. The machines we learned how to use were made by a man in the early 1900’s, and they are some of the most intricate contraptions I have seen. I am going to think twice now when I see these creations in the markets…

I got to try my hand at making a 'chamara' by hand -- amazing process.

Our other day trip was a hike up an inactive volcano to a lake where many of the local Mayan communities perform their religious ceremonies. It was breathtaking! A dense fog made everything seem really mystical, and it broke just long enough for us to make out the entire lake as we were leaving.

The view from the Mirador before we hiked down to the lake on Mount Chicobal.

One of my biggest achievements this week is going to seem fairly trivial, and possibly even a bit superficial: I got a haircut. I was pretty nervous for how it would go, because a haircut is a lot more intimidating when you consider the language and cultural pieces. I wondered: “How am I going to tell him how I want my hair cut without getting it all buzzed off on accident?” “Will I know enough Spanish to hold a conversation or just have to sit in silence the whole time?”

Well, yesterday was the day. My first Guatemalan haircut. And you know what’s better? I had a phenomenal conversation with the barber. He has been cutting hair for over 40 years, is incredibly genuine, and loves the Super Chivos (Xela’s futbol team).

My haircut got me thinking about how intimidating – but surprisingly influential and positive – routine experiences can be in a new place and culture. I felt like a child getting his hair cut for the first time, or like a kindergartener going to the first day of school without knowing what to expect. The biggest thing I realized was this: if approached with an open mind and a positive attitude, the vast majority of new experiences in life will be positive ones. At the very least, we can take a lesson or two from the experiences that do not go as hoped. A fear of change and ‘newness’ can often be debilitating, but when it comes down to it, isn’t that ‘new thing’ we are looking toward at least worth a shot?

Here’s to continued learning and a safe, healthy week. ¡Te extraño mucho!

Amor,

Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment