Friday, February 1, 2013

Amigos, Carros y Cambios.


¡Feliz (casi) fin de semana y febrero, todos! I’m enjoying my third lunch at Panera since being back in the States and wow – I missed this place! It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks, with some time in Omaha to see some great friends and moving out to Fort Collins. The important things: I am safe, healthy, and really loving living out in the mountains for the first time.

I met up with Kelsey (from Spearfish, SD) in Vermillion on my drive down to Omaha! 
I managed to fit my entire life (keyboard and guitar included) into my car and made my way to Omaha mid-January. Apparently my driving skills got a little rusty during my time in Guate: I got caught speeding through Sioux City by a traffic camera (okay, maybe just my ability to notice speed limit signs needs a little work). The week in Omaha couldn’t have been more refreshing. Honestly, at first it felt a little weird being back on Creighton’s campus for the first time as an alum. Once I started seeing people I knew though, it immediately felt like home again, although in a different way. It was great to be in Omaha and have nothing on my schedule other than seeing people. I stayed with Justin and Eric, who are now in med school (crazy!), and we had a great time. I may have OD’d on frozen yogurt, which is fine by me…

I got some great flying time in during my week in Omaha. I miss it already!
Last Wednesday, I downloaded an audiobook and made the 8-hour drive across Nebraska to my new home in Fort Collins, Colorado. It is beautiful here! I am living with Kelsey, one of my best friends from Creighton who is going to grad school at CSU. We (well, mostly Kelsey – I watch and try to help where I can) have been cooking some great meals, have gone on some great runs, and have explored a lot of the city and campus.

I wasn't kidding about the food. Yummmmmmm.
I have been going a little stir-crazy lately and am learning first-hand that the word ‘job-hunting’ really is like hunting: I spend time scouring websites like Craig’s List for listings, sending in cover letters and resumes, and getting really excited when I hear back from someone. I interviewed at a couple financial investment firms last week, which I thought would be a good challenge and learning experience. However, I quickly realized these opportunities required a lot more commitment (time and career-wise) than I am willing to give with med school starting in August, so I ended up turning a job offer down. It felt really great to actually get a ‘job’ though, and the invitation meant as much as anything.

My new room! Thanks for the artwork above my bed, Adyson :)
So, that brings things up to speed for today. I just finished an interview for a staff position at a homeless shelter (fingers crossed --- I loved it!) and have an interview at Starbucks on Monday. Both jobs would be part-time, and how cool would it be to work at a homeless shelter AND learn how to make some awesome drinks?!

This week, although it has challenged my patience, has been a great opportunity for me to slow down a bit. I made no-bake cookies for the first time. I recorded a few songs in my new studio (a.k.a. my bedroom that has been taken over by music equipment). And, I have been working on a lot of those things at the bottom of my to-do list –- the ‘wish list’ things you never really actually expect to get done. I am learning to take more reflection time and to embrace the silence and time alone rather than fear it. Wow--- I think I might be starting to grow up a bit. Weird!

Celebrating Rachel's birthday --- ¡feliz cumple!  
Here’s to the weekend, days filled with opportunity and change, and embracing the silence when we find it. I am thinking of you and hope things are going well!

Paz,


Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment