Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Aventuras en El Salvador.


¡Hola from El Salvador! It has been a crazy week here – we have been going non-stop and been everywhere from the US embassy to rural communities working to recover after the country’s civil war. Although we are here until Friday, I think I can already safely say that the time in El Salvador has been some of the most interesting, enjoyable and formative of my time in Central America.

We started out the week getting to know the organization that we are working with here, CIS (Centro de Intercambio y Solidaridad). They have a great model of working with Salvadorians and extranjeros (foreigners), and work both within rural communities to help them re-build and bring in outsiders to learn about El Salvador’s history and present.

We were able to visit the home, church, and burial site of Monsenor Oscar Romero, who played a key role in working to liberate the oppressed poor in El Salvador. Romero was assassinated in March of 1980. 
Early last week we got dressed up for our big trip to the US Embassy to talk with a USAID representative. Put simply, it was awesome! She was very open to questions and had an obvious passion for working to help El Salvador progress. Our group has gotten very good about seeing both sides of issues (for example, the good things our country is doing here to try to bring stability to help both us and them, but after we financed their civil war during the '80s), and the conversations end up covering a lot of tough topics. Between that visit and our trips to the Ministry to talk with Salvadorian political representatives, I have realized just how much I want to get involved in the healthcare policy side of things once I am a physician. I guess it is a good thing I am going to end up in D.C. for medical school!

At the front podium in El Salvador's House of Congress. Candidato 2028!
We spent a long weekend in two rural communities that were completely destroyed by El Salvador’s civil war from 1980-1992. The first, Cinquera, is coming back incredibly strong with a clinic, development center, and even a museum and hostel for tourists. The second, Palo Grande, was hit especially hard. Of the 500 families that used to live along the mountainous road in this area, only 90 have returned. However, here we also encountered one of the strongest, most organized groups I have ever seen: a group of women, who make everything from corn-husk flowers to candles, are helping to economically and socially re-build the community. These people not only showed us how to make their homemade flowers and candles, but also shared heart-wrenching personal testimonies from the war and welcomed us into their homes for the night.

Angelique and I with our host mom for the weekend, Delmi. (We made the flowers in the vase on the left!)
I learned a lot of things in the Palo Grande community, but one of the greatest insights I had was the huge impact having support can make on a person’s – or community’s – life. We have seen a lot of war and violence-torn communities, but Palo Grande had something special. Not only is their women’s group organized and influential, but they have a passion that I have not seen for a while. Something there was different, and I figured out what it was when I learned more about their community and how CIS was involved. These women had the support - time, energy, and capital – of a group that empowered them to work harder and more effectively in order to make their dreams a reality. Those women have the skills and motivation needed to succeed, but it would not be possible without a helping hand from an organization like CIS. Because of CIS, the group was able to construct a small building to use as a meeting and work space. Because of CIS, the women are able to attend monthly charlas (conferences) to learn about new things they can be doing. Because of CIS, they are able to maximize on their skills and utilize their potential. A lot of times, it is easy to think of success as something self-made, especially since that is such a large part of the ‘American dream.’ However, I am realizing more every day that it is the helping hands – a friend, parents, or someone who just sees something in you that you may not see in yourself – that make the difference.

The women of Palo Grande and a traditional dance.
With just over a month left before heading home, I am looking for every opportunity to soak in everything I can. It is hard to believe how quickly time has gone, but the experience continues to leave me in awe most days (according to some people in my group, literally in awe – I guess I make 'ahh' sounds when I am impressed by things). Here’s to another November week! Te extraño y te quiero. Nos vemos pronto.

We spent the last day at the beach -- I learned to surf and stood up a few times! Not a bad way to spend my last day as a 22-year-old :)


Paz,

Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment