Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ventitres Años.


¡Feliz martes, todos! We made it back to Guatemala after finishing up our El Salvador trip with some incredible experiences (I now have a new-found appreciation for beans -- more on this later) and have started up our last month of full-time classes. I am also officially a year older, so I may have magically gotten more insightful…or forgetful. Vamos a ver. J

A diplomat from El Salvador's FMLN political party, who happened to share my birthday!
We started up classes again yesterday, and it has been a great change of pace! My maestro this week is Marvin, an energetic guy in his late 20’s who loves teaching. Spanish as a whole is going great, which is a good feeling as I begin working on my final 12-page Spanish thesis. My ability to comprehend everything and respond quickly is still far from perfect, but I have begun to really enjoy speaking in Spanish. Sometimes when I am speaking English with people, I run into the problem of knowing what I want to say in Spanish but can’t seem to find the words in my native language. Not a bad problem to have – I think that means I am making some progress!

It seems like something is always going on in Parque -- and because there is no Thanksgiving here to keep us from starting the celebraciones de la Navidad early, there was a huge Christmas parade on Sunday!
The rest of last week in El Salvador was just as influential as the first. We got to spend more time talking with political leaders as well as visit the University of Central America, the Jesuit university where six Jesuits were martyred during the civil war in 1989. It felt great being back on a college campus, which I am going to take as a good sign for being ready to start up with med school in a few months. We even ate at the cafeteria – not bad! 

I realized once again how great of a group we have down here and how close we have become last Wednesday on my birthday. I was a little nervous about how things would be since we were away from our home, but we had a great time together! Strawberry cheesecake, drinks, and a party. Perfect way to join the ranks of 23-year-olds.

PASTEL DE CUMPLE!
During our last day in El Salvador, we traveled to another rural community, but this time with a slightly different purpose: to help paint a mural with an anti-mining message and immerse ourselves in the everyday life of the community members. I started off the day hiking to a field to help some of the farmers pick frijoles, or beans. Before this experience, I had assumed that beans were usually picked by some type of machine…wow, was I wrong. We spent a few hours unraveling the weed-like plants from corn stalks and piling them in large groups. It was back-breaking work in the hot sun, but I was honored to have the opportunity to take part in the community’s life in this way, even if only for a few hours.

Picking frijoles! 
After picking beans, I spent the afternoon helping finish the mural. It turned out great! Who knew that a bunch of pre-meds would have some artistic abilities…we even made it on the local news for our work!

Our group getting interviewed by Canal 9...I'm thankful that it was a local channel broadcasting live, because I butchered the Spanish that day...
I was talking with a few of my friends here about something I have been noticing in my life the last few years --- as soon as I start getting really comfortable somewhere, it seems like it is time to leave. The Dominican Republic last summer. College graduation. And, now, Guatemala and Central America. I am extremely grateful and humbled to be as comfortable as I am here now. Catching a microbus is second-nature. I know just how far to turn the knob on the shower to get hot water. I have discovered the best fruit vendors in the jam-packed markets. I now get asked, “Where were you last week?” if I don’t show up to sing in the church choir. And I can finally understand everything Suzanna says (she lives in my house, and may be the fastest talker in Xela). My time here has not always been easy, but I have already learned and experienced more than I could have asked for or expected. With just one late-night volcano hike, a salsa performance, a horseback ride through the mountains, a group retreat and a 12-page thesis in Spanish separating me from the end of the program, I am being sure to live each day to the fullest and make the every moment count.

Here’s to enjoying the small things this week and taking advantage of the opportunities we find ourselves presented with. Te extraño, te quiero, y nos vemos pronto!


Paz,

Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment