Monday, November 5, 2012

¡Vamos a subir!

Well, here we are --- first week of November! It has been a big week of celebration here in Guatemala with Día de los Muertos on November 1st, which may be one of the most beautiful, tradition-filled holidays I have ever experienced. Things are hectic here today as I try to get my blog post up, do laundry and pack for our two-week immersion trip to El Salvador. We are leaving tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM!

If I had to pick one word to describe the last week, it would be 'hiking'. After finishing our volunteer projects last Wednesday, we had a few days off. A few of us decided to tackle one of the biggest challenges we wanted to try while in Guatemala: climbing to the highest point in Central America: Tajumulco. It ended up being one of the most difficult and incredible things I have ever done. More on this a little later…

A Sunday morning hike up to the lava fields near Xela. Gorgeous!
Since Día de los Muertos is a national holiday in Guatemala, we took the day to venture to a small community called Sumpango to eat the traditional food of the day, fiambre, and check out one of the biggest barrilete (kite) festivals around. It was amazing! Many of the kites were the size of small houses, and the sky was filled with tons of kids and adults alike flying their colorful barriletes. As for the fiambre --- well, I won’t need to try that dish again, at least for a few years. I got my fill of intestines, hearts, liver, and everything else for quite a while. The perfect vegetarian dish! J

All of the fiambre on Día de los Muertos, ready for the fiestas!
One of the giant barriletes at the kite festival in Sumpango.
To switch things up a little bit, I tried my hand at veggie lasagna with my host family today. I was again amazed by how well the kitchen can bring people together; we had a great time! It is fun to continue to learn things from my host family and give them some new ideas in return. They are used to spending several hours preparing lunch, and they loved how quick and easy my mom’s recipe was. It was also the first time they had used the oven in almost a year. Definitely a good lunch!

To elaborate a bit on the Tajumulco hike…
We made it! Wet, cold, and so, so happy.
To get to the mountain, our guide navigated us through several buses and micros winding upward toward the Guatemalan coast. We began our five-hour hike to the base camp in early afternoon, and the views were gorgeous! Around 5 PM, with just a few minutes left on the hike, it started to downpour. And it didn’t stop for several hours. So, there we were, huddled in a cave while our bags got soaked in tents that leaked (which we didn’t realize until it was too late), fighting off the cooling night air. We got creative with eating our spaghetti since the forks were lost somewhere inside the small lake inside our tent and then worked on getting the tent dry enough to try to get some sleep. It had stopped raining by this point, gracias a Dios, and we settled in for a long night in some wet sleeping bags. Waking up at 4:30 AM the next morning, we hiked the final 800 feet to the summit and were pleasantly surprised to have the mountain – and one of the most beautiful, rewarding sunrises I have ever seen – all to ourselves.

Sunrise on top of Tajumulco.
That night on Tajumulco taught me a lot about myself and pushed me to limits of discomfort that I hadn’t touched before. I have learned a lot about myself in Guatemala, and one of the biggest things that has hit home is the importance of looking at difficult situations and discomfort to learn something about oneself and take advantage of the opportunity to push the limits. I kept that in mind during our adventure up Tajumulco, and it really changed how I perceived the experience and the challenge. Instead of, “I’m cold…and soaking wet…and just want to sleep in a tent that doesn’t leak,” my thoughts became, “Wow, how many people get to say they hiked this mountain in a bigger storm than our guide has ever seen?!”. I am grateful to have developed this type of perspective for the challenging times, especially before beginning medical school next fall.

It looks like we will be pretty busy in El Salvador, so next week might be blog-less (although I am going to try my best to post an update). But, I am looking forward to sharing the experiences with you when I can. In the meantime, disfruta la semana y continua viviendo y aprendiendo. Cada día es una buena oportunidad. ¡Te extraño, y hasta próxima vez!


Paz,

Nico

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicholas!

    I absolutely love reading your blog and hearing all about your experiences. I applied to Somos Hermanos for the Fall 2013 session. :) I have a question for you regarding the language aspect of the program. Has your Spanish significantly improved? Would you consider yourself semi-fluent now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alexis, thanks for the comment! That is great that you applied for next fall -- it is an incredible program, and it is hard to give the experience justice through blogs and pictures. It is phenomenal! As far as the Spanish piece goes, I definitely feel like my Spanish has improved significantly. I came with a little background in the language, but only enough to talk a little bit about my family and the weather. Now, I can understand the vast majority of what people say and responding and talking in conversation feels pretty natural. Best of luck, and feel free to email me if you need anything!

      Delete
  2. I'm sending an email your way now :)

    ReplyDelete