Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Coincidencias en el mundo pequeño


¡Feliz martes, todos! It has been another exciting, chaotic, adventure-filled week in Guatemala. Things are picking up at the clinic, I am discovering some of the keys to teaching kids, and I am now officially scuba-certified.

A parade through Parque Central for "Dia de los Niños" (Children's Day). We need to start this up in the States!
Volunteering has been going great, and I am finally settling in to the routine of early mornings (most days before 6 AM! That’s quite a bit of progress for me…). It continues to be challenging but rewarding, and I am starting to realize how much energy it takes to teach classes a few days per week. This time is definitely helping me develop new relationships, learn a lot about Guatemala’s culture, and reflect deeply on my life and the ways in which I perceive the world.

 I think we discovered the secret for teaching a room-full of 8-12 year-olds this past week: fútbol. Last week, we took the kids outside to play for around 45 minutes, and it completely changed the dynamic once we went inside to learn some more about music. Who knew something as simple as this could be the key...
Fútbol in the street outside of the PEILE center .
Things at Llanos (the rural clinic) have been picking up, and as I get to know the doctor and nurse better I have been able to get some good hands-on experience. I am realizing more each day how large of a task the medical staff have at the rural clinics in Guatemala; in addition to trying to gain the confidence of the community (since many of the clinics have started up in the last few years), they also have to spend a lot of time and effort to help patients follow through with their treatments. It is a very different dynamic from the U.S., and it is good to see a different side of healthcare. We see more pregnant women than any other group of people, and I have gotten to listen to a few babies’ heartbeats in the last week --- so cool!

I'm working my way up at the clinic...they gave me my own jeep last week! (okay, not really...)
I woke up at 4:30 AM on Friday morning to meet up with a couple of the girls in my group, Vanessa and Katrina, to catch an early chicken-bus to Lago Atitlan to finish our scuba certifications that we started in Belize last month. It was a crazy few days: we spent around five hours in the water each day and another five or six in the classroom. It ended up being a really nice weekend away from the city, and we finished the certification! Watch out uncharted waters, here I come. 

My biggest realization this week was probably the least-expected thing I could imagine; it happened during our weekend trip to the lake. Before leaving for Guatemala, I remember talking with a few people in Residence Life at Creighton about a 2010 graduate, Laura, who was spending two years in Guatemala with the Peace Corps. However, I had completely forgotten about this until a girl came up to me at Lago Atitlan and asked if I went to Creighton…not something you hear every day down here. It hit me immediately that the girl I was talking with must be Laura, and sure enough, it was. We had a good talk and realized that we only live around an hour from each other. What are the odds?!

The sunrise on Lago Atitlan on Saturday morning before we got in the water for scuba training.
That encounter with Laura at the lake reminded me that, although the world is often a big, scary place – especially for a new college grad throwing himself out there for one of the first times – it really is smaller and more inviting than we give it credit for. Out of the 15 million people living in Guatemala, I happened to run into Laura. And, even though we don’t know much more about each other than names and where we live, it felt like I was seeing an old friend for the first time in years. I think that the more we are open to the world, the less intimidating and more inviting it can become. I am also convinced that even though there are billions of people sharing our planet, we are never too far from someone that we can connect with.

Middle of October, here we come! Here's to another week. Te extraño y te quiero. 

Paz,

Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment