Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Discubriendo mi Voz.


¡Hola todos, y feliz martes! Es difícil creer que ya está Octubre. As I sit in my room typing this week’s blog, I am enjoying two of my favorite sounds of Xela: rain (there is a lot of this) and Spanish music. It has been another eventful week, with everything from a despedida (going-away party) to teaching my first classes in Spanish, to a black-sand beach. A chaotic, invigorating whirlwind.

On our way to the beach at Monterrico...loading the bus on a boat for the last leg of the trip!

Last week was my first week without full-time Spanish class. Honestly, I miss it a bit – but, it has been nice to get out and practice my Spanish in the ‘real world’ during volunteering. I am taking private lessons a couple times per week and also have a group class each week, which is a nice, more relaxed way to continue to learn throughout the next few weeks.

Our group enjoyed a day at the beach this weekend. 

Volunteering has been awesome! A lot of things have been unexpected (including my newest project/site…more on this below) and there are many challenges, but I think that is part of why I am enjoying it so much; the challenge makes me think harder, give more, and form deeper relationships with the people I am around. Here’s a little bit about what I am doing…

I am working in a rural clinic in the community of Llanos del Pinal two mornings per week. Last week, things at the clinic were pretty slow, but I got to take blood pressures, watch some dental cleanings, and talk a lot with the nurse, doctor, and patients. My friend who works at the clinic with me, Niki, and I spent a little time sharpening our blood pressure-taking skills too. Gotta stay sharp for med school!

The clinic at Llanos del Pinal. We're watching surgeries on Thursday!

Last Tuesday afternoon, I taught my first music class to nine kids (ages 8-14) at the PEILE center in the outskirts of Xela. Wow. I forgot how much energy – and how short of an attention span – kids have, especially when they are in a group. I left PEILE more exhausted that I have felt in a long time, but also feeling extremely fulfilled. I had forgotten how it felt to be on the other end of things when someone ‘gets’ something for the first time. It was great to be a part of that, and I am excited for the coming weeks. Hopefully I don’t go deaf from all of the high-pitched squeals from the recorders we are using J.

One of the kids showing off his dancing skills to Michael Jackson at the first PEILE class.

My most impactful experience this week has come from the struggles I was having last week with finding another service site since one of the clinics fell through. On Friday, I had another meeting with Hugo to talk about potential projects in light of the community’s needs. I ended up deciding to teach English to the tourism division of the police department, which is new to Xela. I had my first class yesterday evening, and it went great! There are ten officers in the class, and all of them are really nice and open to learning. As part of this, I am also creating a manual for the department that they can use to teach English in the future. It has been a lot of work so far but it will be great to leave something here that can hopefully help people after I am back in the States.

One of the biggest things that has hit me this week has again been a sense of ‘home,’ which is appropriate as I cross the half-way point in my time here. As my Spanish improves and it becomes easier to talk with people, I have found myself able to start building real relationships: with the people in the choir, Hugo and others at the organization I am working with, the people I see at yoga each week, and my host family. It is a great feeling to no longer be terrified to make Spanish phone calls, and to be able to have a fluid conversation without searching for words all the time. Don’t get me wrong; I still struggle with the language piece (a lot on some days). But, poco a poco, I am starting to build a life here. I am starting to form close relationships based in a language other than my native tongue. Estoy discubriendo mi voz...I am discovering my voice. 

And with that, it’s time for another week. I hope you are doing well, embracing the routines and the unknowns, and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Cuídate, y te extraño.

Paz,

Nico 

No comments:

Post a Comment