Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Frente a mis miedos.


Happy almost-Halloween! We are getting ready for all of the end-of-October festivities here in Guatemala, but it is pretty different from the experiences I have had in the States. Everyone is saving up their energy for the following day, Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead, or All-Souls Day, on Nov. 1). My host family has told me to expect some kite festivals and a lot of food, especially the special ‘fiambre’ dish.

It seems like there is always something going on in Parque Central...yesterday, there was a body-building competition! 
The last week has been one of my busiest weeks in Guatemala, and every second has been a great challenge and adventure. I cannot believe that we wrap up all of our volunteering tomorrow; it has been an incredible experience. A lot of days were difficult, especially in the beginning --- feeling uncomfortable and awkward was the norm. But, as time has passed and I have built relationships with the people I see each week, I have become much more comfortable and found a lot of meaning in the work I am doing. I successfully completed an 18-page English manual for the police and gave it to them during a difficult good-bye last night. We finished up in the clinic this morning and are having a pizza party with the kids in the music class at PEILE this afternoon. I have learned a lot about myself over the last six weeks, and as tends to be the case with volunteering, I received more than I could ever give.

Niki and my last day at the clinic in Llano -- with Señora Zully and Doctora Mery!  
In the rural clinic last Thursday, I encountered one of those perception-shaping situations that have become pretty common here....

A little boy came in to see the doctor, and she quickly diagnosed him with Hepatitis. This is a pretty serious situation but can be resolved successfully with the right medication. The problem was that the small pharmacy in the clinic did not have the medicine, and the child’s single mother did not have the money to buy the medication at a private pharmacy. So the search continued…first at the Central Hospital and continuing all the way to Xela’s largest General Hospital. By the time we left that day, the doctor still had not found any medication in a city of over 200,000 people. I have come to realize that it is problems like this – having access to basic medications and resources – that prove most difficult when working to provide healthcare in developing countries like Guatemala. The difficulties can also lead to some great innovations and creativity, but many times at the cost of the outcomes patients can – and should – have.

This weekend was full of bus time: 25 hours from Friday through Sunday. If you’re wondering what could possibly make getting up at 5 AM on travel days and spending over 12 hours in a bus each way worth it, I’ve got two words: Semuc Champey. At first, my group and I were a little skeptical as well – but as soon as we pulled up to the hostel nestled by a river in the mountainous jungle, we realized it was definitely worth the trip. Semuc is full of ancient caves, jungles, and most famously, the turquoise-colored natural pools.

At the mirador looking down over the pools at Semuc Champey.
Semuc Champey became pretty special to me because it forced me to confront a big fear I have had over the last year. After getting hit by a large rock platform that fell when I jumped into a river in the Dominican Republic last summer, I have had a big aversion to jumping into water. I came to realize in the first few minutes at Semuc that I had a decision to make; half of the day involved swimming and jumping five to fifteen feet down waterfalls from pool to pool. I made the decision to go for it despite the fact that my stomach was turning with memories of the accident in the DR, and it turned out to be one of the best things I could have done. More than cautiously jumping a few feet here and there, it became about me looking a fear of mine in the eyes and going for it. That day turned out to be surprisingly empowering in this respect, and it made me realize the importance of not allowing our fears to hold us back. Whether it is jumping down waterfalls or pursuing a passion in spite of opposition, I think the difficulty of addressing our fears makes us stronger and enables us to experience our lives more fully.

The group at Semuc Champey!
Here’s to another week, and to jumping off the waterfalls that you are facing. ¡Te extraño y te quiero!


Paz,


Nico

No comments:

Post a Comment