Tuesday, October 16, 2012

La importancia de los ensayos


¡Hola, todos! Although I have been in Guatemala for over three months, I feel like I have finally gotten ‘inducted’ into the Guatemalan life this week. It hasn’t been easy, and it involved a lot of firsts: my first so-crowded-and-hot-you-don’t-know-what-to-do chicken bus ride, visiting an orphanage to throw the kids a party, an earthquake, and needing to take cipro for the first time (to get rid of a parasite). It definitely has not been an easy week, but I won’t be forgetting it any time soon J.

Sunrise in the cemetery (beautiful colors!) on a morning run last Friday.
Volunteering has continued picking up, and I have found a rhythm with teaching classes and going to the clinic. The schedule is starting to become routine and the people I work with have started to become good friends. The clinic had some cool new cases last week and I got to spend a lot of time with the nurse and doctor. It is making me excited to start med school in the fall!

Teaching English classes to the police is a great experience; their attention spans are a little longer than the kids in the music class (although not much!) and it has been fun to watch them learn the language. It is also proving challenging since I only have two more weeks with them, and deciding what is most important for them to learn has been a lot of trial-and-error. They are all very open and give good feedback, though, which has helped me a lot.

We made our way to Guatemala's water park on Sunday - it was awesome! 
Now on to a little more detail on some of the stories from my first paragraph…
On Saturday, my group and I spent the day at Aldeas Infantiles orphanage in Xela to throw a party for the 60+ kids that live there. We had our hands full! My favorite part of the day was the piñatas that we broke open at the end; I have never seen anything like it. The best way to describe those few minutes is to picture an intense battle scene of the movie of your choice, only with kids and candy in place of soldiers and guns.

The girls' piñata at Aldeas Infantiles. All was calm...until the candy started falling out.
I also met Jonathan, a little boy around 2 years old, who made a big impact on me during our time at the orphanage. It was difficult to see the injustice of all of those children without parents, and it gave me a renewed sense of appreciation for my family while reminding me that life is a lot more complex than we often realize.

Snack time with Jonathan! 
The past weekend was full of great experiences, and at the same time, held some of my most challenging moments in Guatemala. I spent a few hours on a chicken bus traveling to and from the coast. Although I have done this several times, this weekend was a little different; I ended up standing on the bus for a couple of hours, squished between over 100 other people (who knew a school bus could fit that many?!), dripping sweat in the hot, humid coastal air because everyone’s windows were closed  to keep out the rain from a downpour. A few hours later, I got to know my host-family’s toilet more intimately than I ever hoped as my body reacted to some type of parasite. As I was lying on the bathroom floor, I felt I had reached a definite low point in my time here.

School-bus-turned-chicken-bus. Guatemalteco style. 
This week taught me a lot about challenge, about being uncomfortable. I had a couple moments where I was throwing a pretty raging pity-party, and as I look back on that, I realize that I will try looking at things through a different lens the next time I encounter some challenges both here in Guatemala and throughout the rest of my life. Things are not always going to be easy and fun, nor should they be. I think that challenges and discomfort make us stronger, give us the ability to empathize, and, when approached properly, broaden our perspective to something greater than ourselves and the ever-insistent idea of ‘me.’ As I look back on this week, I am thankful for the challenges. And, as I have heard some people say, you haven’t really lived in Guatemala until you have gotten a parasite. I guess that means I am working my way into the fold.

Here’s to another great week, to embracing the challenges life throws at us, and to finding a sense of peace in the uncomfortable. Te extraño, y cuídate.

Paz,

Nico 

No comments:

Post a Comment